Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Never Under Appreciate

While frantically searching for notes from my sophomore year, I found my old box of grade school memories under my bed. I smiled at the ridiculous smiling alien-giraffe-bus thingy staring up at me and sat down on the floor. It was late and nothing I needed to do that night was going to go away, but that didn't really matter. I pulled out the "best" stories I had written. Most of them were written on "T0-DO" pads and scraps of napkins. I saw my first ever fast facts test that I finished and got them all correct on. My teacher had failed to put on a sticker, so I had drawn one on myself. I saw some ridiculous looking people, objects that were either flowers or balls, poems, projects, and tests. However, most of the things I pulled out were gifts.

They were thank you cards from my teachers, birthday cards from my grandparents, and "artwork" from my sisters. They were pictures of me and friends glued onto construction paper, short poems that rhymed my curly hair with things like chair, and lots butterflies and dogs. Once each person in my class wrote me "Get Well Soon" cards and I laughed at all the creative was to spell simple words.

Even- no especially- when I was little I understood the value of notes and thoughtful gifts. I'm sure some of those people gave me stuffed animals at birthday parties, but those weren't the things I had the foresight to keep. Even then it was the simple things that really mattered.

So here's my point. Every person out there can make a card. Every person out there can do one simple thing to make someone's life better. As I put away all the stuff and kept searching for those darn notes I was grateful that I had this box filled with meaningful things from people who cared for me. I hoped that someone had something from me in a box. I hoped I taken the time to make sure someone else knew how much I cared for them.
This is my challenge to you and myself. Fill as many "boxes" for as many people as you can. It doesn't have to be posters or artwork. Just let them know that you care.

No comments:

Post a Comment