Monday, October 4, 2010

Distribution Day

August 2nd, 2010. I woke up like any other morning. Showered. Brushed my teeth. Fixed my hair. Checked the mirror and headed off. To anyone else, August 2nd 2010 would seem pretty darn ordinary but to me and my fellow NETwork supporters, it was the culmination of months of hard work. On August 2nd 2010, 1,000 nets were distributed deep in the Ugandan bush.

1,000 nets. 1,000 nets that would protect 3,000 lives.

I sat amongst people at a conference who had never heard of NETwork Against Malaria or the village receiving nets. I sat beside them and listened to their conversations. I sat hoping someone would ask what was new so I could scream out what was going on thousands of miles away. And I sat wondering what else was going on in these strangers lives on August 2nd 2010.

I sat wondering if any of them were having a completely normal day. I wondered if someone had something exciting they were dying to share. I wondered if August 3rd would be as significant to someone as August 2nd had been to me.

I suppose, there is no such thing as an ordinary day. It is the start, the end, the tragedy, the celebration, the hope, the despair, the promise for someone, somewhere. I suppose there is nothing so under- marveled than a sunrise and a sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment